Inkerman is a city located on the Crimean peninsula, with a history of more than a thousand years. It is located at the confluence of the Black River in the bay of Sevastopol. Inkerman is officially considered part of Sevastopol, and it refers to the district of Balaklava.
Every year, thousands of tourists vacationing in Sevastopol come here to witness the main historical significance of these places, such as the famous Kalamita fortress. Actually Inkerman started from the fort.
A little history
In the sixth century the Byzantines built a fortress for the defense of the terrestrial borders of Chersoneso. After another 2 centuries, complexes of Christian churches, located on the rocks, were built in the Kalam.
Later in the 14th century it became an important trading port of Theodoro. Prince Alexei completely rebuilt the Byzantine city, but the quality of the new fortifications left much to be desired, since in the middle of the year 1430, Kalamita ended up burned by the Genoese. In 1470 the time came for the Turks, who changed the name of the fortress city, calling it “Inkerman” and it was partially rebuilt for the ease of use of firearms. It was their only contribution to the development of this area. During the Turkish rule, the city lost its former importance and ended completely abandoned. In the Crimean War, the majestic fortress became part of the Russian Empire, even though it was in ruins.
There was intense fighting between the English army and the Russian forces. In the second half of the 19th century, Inkerman first emerged in a long time. In the settlement was constructed a railway station, or rather, a modest stop with the same name. During Great Homeland, most of the buildings were destroyed. After the war, stones started to be extracted, and in 1976, the city was named “Belokamensk” by the mouth of the Black River. Subsequently, in 1991 it was named (Inkerman).
The city has two small beaches, one called “Inkerman”, and another beach in the old quarry.
The first is located in the park near the passenger ship dock. The beach is very well equipped despite its modest size. There are tons of river sand, installed benches, awnings and garbage cans.
The second beach is located in an old quarry. It is 100 meters long. The quarry is filled with pure water.
The main historical values that can be seen with guided tours in the city are the Calamita fortress and the Inkerman Monastery. The monastery was founded between the 8th and 9th centuries BC in honor of the Roman Bishop Clement, who went into exile in Crimea, where he preached Christianity.
The Zagaytanskoe fortification, formerly Crimean settlement of Tauris, appeared around the 8th century BC. The complex includes more than 300 cave structures and it is very similar to a honeycomb. The surviving fragments are located south of the Calamite fortress, on the hill between the road and the left bank of the Black River.
Once the Inkerman winery was visited by the French actor and oenologist Zherar Deparde (by the way Zherar Deparde now has his residence in the city of Moscow). In the guest book he wrote that there they make the best wine in the world.
The town is famous for the Inkerman Winery. Here you will find the base of the stone mines, on the shore of Ahtiarskoy Bay, in large oak barrels, where you will find the maturing of classic wines of Crimea. Everyone can visit the production. Advance reservations are required.