The St. Bogolyubovo monastery is the largest of the monasteries and its environs of Vladimir, which has witnessed more than 8 centuries of Russian history in which events has played an important role on several occasions. Civil buildings are the singularity of the monastery: here was the residence of Prince Andreya Bogolyubskogo and its director at the time of the temple (12th century), to highlight the Cathedral of the Nativity is literally built in the Prince’s chambers.
Today, the prince’s castle is here. The St. Bogolyubovo monastery is a place worth of visiting to admire the creations of the architect Ton, standing in the silence echoing one of Russia’s largest temples, Bogolubsky Cathedral, stroll along the bank of the pond of Poluzarosshego monastery and, hopefully, hearing the sound of the magnificent set of bells.
The monastery houses the Bogolyubovo icon of the Mother of God, which is the first to write the image of the Russian Virgin Mary. Before this, all icons were brought from Byzantium.
A little history
The St. Bogolyubovo monastery was founded in 1155 by Prince Andrew Bogolyubsky, due to the miraculous vision he had of the Virgin. Initially, a temple appeared that was soon covered by ecclesiastical and secular buildings, the prince decided to construct a place in memory to its protected ones. After the death of Andrew Bogolyubskii, it passed into the hands of conspirators, the residence complex of sin was given to the monastery jrisdiction. The service was led by the prince at the church of the Nativity of the Virgin.
The castle of Prince Andreya Bogolyubskogo is the only surviving secular building in ancient Russia.
The Bogolyubskii Cathedral was built between 1855 and 1866, from Moscow’s private donations on the KA Ton project. After the Revolution, the monastery was closed, to later organize a museum here. The rebirth of the monastery began in the 1990’s. Today it is a convent with 120 nuns.
¿What can you see?
The St. Bogolyubovo monastery is incredibly beautiful and solemn: the white walls of its temples and churches are shining in the background of the green forest and a blue vault which has the traditional color of the Virgin Mary to merge with the top of the sky
The first thing is to go to Bogoliubsky Cathedral to admire its recognizable architecture: a Byzantine combination and monumental Russian decoration, easy and festive with the characteristic letter of the architect Ton. Although inside it can not be presumed of ancient frescoes, this is where the monastery maintains the image of the icon of the Virgin of Bogolyubovo.
In the bell tower of the cathedral are located the beautiful set of bells, the largest of which weighs 8 tons.
The remains of Prince Andrew’s palace are found in the oldest building of the monastery, which belongs to the second half of the 12th century. The building is considered to be the only existing civilian structure of the days of ancient Russia. The castle was considered as lost, but in 1954 the transition to the chorus tower and the staircase were found.
The adjacent Cathedral of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary is a graceful temple with a single dome. Even in this case, it is necessary to see the Church of the Annunciation of the 19th century, when examining the case and visiting the private chapel, built on the place where the body of the prince lay.