The complex of the Surb Khach monastery (translated from the Armenian as the Holy Cross) has been known since antiquity and the first mention of it dates back to the middle of the 14th century, being more likely at that time, as people began to know about it. It was rebuilt several times in the 17th and 18th centuries, as evidenced by the mark of construction on the building walls. In those years, the monastery played an important role in the life of the Armenians of Crimea, and attracted numerous religious residents of the surrounding cities in the holiday. In 1917, the church owned vast lands on the Crimean peninsula, so it was only a matter of time before the Soviet power had resentment. From what is known, a spiritual institution was liquidated in 1925. Until World War II the sanatorium for tuberculosis, as well as summer camps, came to operate. Over time, the territory of the Apostolic Church of Armenia closed its doors until 2002, year in which it was reopened.
Several centuries ago, the ground near the monastery was considered a miracle so hundreds of pilgrims gathered there. Nowadays, the Surb Khach monastery remains popular among pilgrims of all religions.
¿What can you see?
The complex was built with a classical scheme and consists of three buildings, Surb Nshan Church, cells and refectory, which were built in different centuries. The buildings are built in Armenian style and with a touch of Italy, as shown on the orange roofs.
The heart of the monastery, of course, is the church and you can see from the distance the dome with a cross. The walls are still in good condition, and it maintains medieval painting with an atmosphere that is saturated regarding spiritual heritage. The two storey refectory is next door. The first floor is used for the intended purposes and consists of two rooms, where the second is based on the 19th century and functions as an inn for tired travelers. The cells are in the same aesthetic building on the south side of the temple, but for obvious reasons, tourists from fraternal bodies are not allowed access.
Me Sarkis cook, nephew of Vardapet Kirakos, served four years the Holy Cross for the salvation of his soul. The historical inscription is in the north room, located on the first floor of the refectory.
The monastery is surrounded by green and a large ground, and it is located around the wooded hills. Thanks to the careful pilgrims, for taking very good care of nature, this place seems bright and alive. Just below the buildings are two fountains with decorated facades, and these work in a warm climate. It is worth mentioning that you can drink pure spring water. For a long time, the territory was considered particularly from the monastery, and it was well-known among the Crimea population. However, in the 21st century, its popularity is not only preserved, but also multiplied, as it is a unique national monument, which has attracted the attention of archaeologists and lovers of classical Armenian architecture.