Surely you have read the word “Lay” in school, so this monument of ancient literature was found only in the Holy Monastery of the transfiguration in Yaroslavl. This monastery is well known since it was founded in the 12th century. In fact, Yaroslavl in Kremlin, is surrounded by a wall and is located in the center of the city.
In the 18th century, in the Monastery of the transfiguration in Yaroslavl, was found in its library the only surviving copy of the “Lay”.
The Monastery of the transfiguration played an important role in the history of Yaroslavl, which had long been its spiritual and economic center.
Ivan Grozny liked to visit this Monastery. He granted the place several villages, two hundred villages, fishing and salt mines. His son, Czar Fiodor, also gave gifts to the monastery.
Many monuments are located in the territory of the monastery, which were constructed long after its foundation. For example, largely preserved walls were originally made of wood, and it was only in the 17th century that the stone walls were changed into steel. Then it was built the stone tower of Bogoroditskaya, Uglich (conserved), the deaf, San Miguel and the Water Gate.
In the first half of the 18th century, a large library was formed in the monastery; Work was carried out by correspondence books. At the end of the century the metropolitan residence that was previously in Rostov was moved here. After the revolution, the Spaso-Preobrazhensky monastery was converted into a museum.
Attractions of the Holy Monastery of the Transfiguration
The Cathedral of the Transfiguration
The main temple of the monastery, was built between 1216 and 1224, but after a fire in the 16th century, was badly damaged, and then rebuilt with the image of the Annunciation and the cathedrals of the Archangel of the Moscow Kremlin. This is the temple we see now. It is considered the oldest monument of the era of Ivan the Terrible. A great iconostasis was created for the new cathedral and some icons have survived.
The Sacred Door
It was built at the beginning of the 16th century. Not only is it the main entrance to the monastery but also, the patrol tower exploring the area.
It is a part of a complex consisting of three buildings: the same chamber, the Church of the Nativity (16th century) and the Abbot (17th century).
Be sure to visit the cells in which the monks lived in the 17th century!
The Museum-Reserve of the Holy Monastery of the Transfiguration
In the territory of the Holy Monastery of the Transfiguration there is historical-architectural and art museum. Here you can see ancient art, wood carving and carving of Russian churches. Here it houses a rich collection of Greek and Slavic manuscripts, and an honor list “Lay”, which now occupies a separate exhibition. In addition, the museum periodically celebrates its exhibitions.