Everyone who enters the center of Yaroslavl on the Moscow road meets in the Church of the Epiphany, which is located immediately after crossing the small Kotorosl river, which is an elegant and visible red brick temple. As you know, in Russia, churches have always chosen the most beautiful place, here the scenery immediately draws everybody’s attention. In the photos from 100 years ago, the swan princess floats on the river among the dwarf houses of Townsmen. Now they have become taller houses, but the church has not lost its beauty and uniqueness.
A little history
According to historical records, a wooden church was built on the site before the Mongol-Tatar yoke. At the beginning of the 16th century, by the decree of tsar Basilio III, the territory was given to the monastery of the Holy Transfiguration. The brick building was placed in 1684, the building construction took up to 9 years to be completed. The temple painting was the main pattern that the local merchant Zubchaninov gave this place, which was carried out between the years 1692 to 1693. Under the direction of the artists D. Plekhanov and F. Ignatyev., The icons are classified as the circle of SS Holmogortsa. The creative combination of local traditions and capital is brought to the fact that the temple is something unusual, brilliant and a very beautiful creation. In the 19th century it was revised and surrounded by a fence, and after the revolution and civil war of the last century, it fell into disuse and was partially destroyed. In the 30’s it appeared as a cultural monument, but was not given the money for its restitution and only in the 50’s the restoration commenced, which is still in process.
¿What can you see?
You should definitely start with the best visual panorama of the surrounding area. It consists of the Epiphany tower of the Yaroslavl Kremlin, the monument of Yaroslav the Wise and the trading houses. The Church of the Epiphany is the square building made of Besstolpny’s technology, decorated with two rows of arches and 5 beautiful cantilevered vaults with high drums. This foundation is often used as barn. There are three sides of the church which are surrounded by 8 galleries and a belfry for a bit of distraction from the composition at the expense of modern masonry.
The historical center of Yaroslavl is included in the list of UNESCO World Heritage and protected by the State. The Church of the Epiphany is one of its pearls.
The charm and special uniqueness of the temple are its tiles. They applied 5 colors and 5 figures for this plant which is an excellent example of Russian pottery from the 17th century. Inside, everything is covered with bright murals of ancient biblical themes. The holy things of the church are considered on a list with the miraculous icon “The inexhaustible cup”, the icon with the relics of the Holy Blessed Matron of Moscow, Pantaleon, St. Nikolay Chudotvortsa and Nektariya Eginskogo, St. Basil, Constantine of Yaroslavl and others.