The Sheremetev Palace in St. Petersburg
The-Sheremetev-Palace-in-St-Petersburgburgo

The Sheremetev Palace is the Music Museum, also called the “Fountain House”, the place of its location is in the former manor of Sheremetev “Fountain House”. It has a plot of land on the river Fontanka (Erik Sin Nombre), which, was granted by Peter I to Count Sheremetev in 1712. The stone palace consists of two floors that exist today, built in 1750 by the construction architect S. Chevakinsky. There is reason to believe that drawings by Rastrelli were used during the project.

Before 1917, Sheremetev’s palace and grounds belonged to the eldest of five generations (count) of the famous Russian Sheremetev family branch.

After the Revolution, the palace was converted into the noble Muzeefitsirovat Museum, which existed until 1931. The framework of its collection was supposed to be made up of Sheremetev’s private collection for 200 years. It is a complex combination of several layers. The assembly, is of universal character and presents a variety of subjects included in a gallery of images, a collection of sculptures, weapons, numismatics, objects of art and crafts, a library, a collection of the church plaque and icons.

For over 150 years, the palace was the Sheremetevs family’s “family nest” with the art and antique collections, where Pushkin Kiprensky posed for the famous portrait.

In 1990, the palace was handed over to the Museum of Theatre and Music to create the St. Petersburg Museum of Music where it houses the State Collection of Musical Instruments. Since the late 1980s, restoration work associated with the reconstruction of the gala and the 19th century interior memorial began at the Sheremetev Palace.

The music collection of Sheremetev Palace has more than three thousand tools and is one of the five largest places in the world and one of the best in Russia. It includes tools created by famous Western European and Russian masters in the 16th-20th centuries; commemorative tools of Russian school composers from the 19th-20th centuries; the collection belonging to the imperial Romanov family; the unique Russian Horn Orchestra and musical instruments from all over the world.

Now, in the Fountain House, as it was called in St. Petersburg, there is the Music Museum. The poet Anna Akhmatova lived in the palace wing for many years, and now the Memorial Museum is open.

The museum operates with a permanent exhibition “Sheremetev’s family and the musical life from the 18th to the early 20th century”, which was opened in 1995 and implemented in cooperation with the Hermitage Museum, Russian State Museum, the Russian National Library, Pushkin House, the State Tretyakov Gallery, the Ostankino-Museum Palace, the Kuskovo Russian Porcelain Museum and the owners of private collections.

About Author

client-photo-1
admin