Trinity Cathedral in Alexandrov
Trinity-Cathedral-in-Alexandrov

Alexander’s Sloboda was a complex and unique medieval palace. It was created by Italian and Russian masters and contemporaries in the beauty and richness of the Moscow Kremlin.

The oldest building that survives to this day and the only thing that has come down from the time of Vasily III is the small and very beautiful Trinity Cathedral, built in 1513. By the way, it was originally consecrated as the intercession, and became the Trinity in the 18th century.

Obviously, the architects were inspired by the temple of the Holy Trinity Church in the Lavra of St. Sergius.

History

The palace temple was erected in 1513, it was the real pride of the suburban royal residence of the king of basil III. While the throne of Basil III by Ivan IV the son of the terrible was the one who transformed the Alexander neighborhood into the covert capital of Muscovy, where he brought from Novgorod and Tver 2 copper objects. Now they adorn the cathedral in the southern and western portal.

The Trinity Cathedral during 5 centuries, changed many times its appearance. To this was added the gallery and the porch.

What you can see?

The construction of the temple, although it has the shape of a cube, did not yet have a voluminous appearance, since the cube is on an even more massive podklet, which, is a kind of base for the interior. The vaults are supported by four pillars and the tower is crowned with a round dome.

The usual white cathedral after the change of name it received in the 18th century was presented by the monks as a new kind of pious temple. Before that, the cathedral was quite colourful, as it is built from brick and white stone.

After the name was changed the interior decoration was done. The fresco patterns of the Virgin Mary were replaced by others. But thanks to the restoration carried out, they can be seen today, and part of them can be seen at the same time paintings created in the 16th century, in the times of “Pokrovsky”.

We have found in the basement 7 tombs with very rich tombstones. As the researchers discovered them, they observed that in one of the tombs rests the monk Cornelius, and in the 2nd tomb the daughter of Ivan the Terrible. The names of the other dead are not yet known.

Trinity Cathedral Alexandrov was an involuntary witness of the main historical events and welcomed many kings within its walls. Under its vaults Ivan Grozny was crowned with Marfoy Sobakinoy, who was then executed for alleged treason.

About Author

client-photo-1
admin