The largest of the monasteries and its surroundings in Vladimir, is the monastery of St. Bogolyubovo, witness to more than 8 centuries of Russian history in which events have played an important role on several occasions. The uniqueness of the monastery is reflected in its civil buildings: here in the 12th century it was the residence of Prince Andreya Bogolyubskogo and his director at the time of the temple “Cathedral of the Nativity” which was literally built in the prince’s chamber complex.
Today, the prince’s castle is here. It is worth visiting the Monastery to admire the creations of the architect Ton, to stand in the silence echoing one of the largest temples in Russia, to walk along the edge of the pond of the Poluzarosshego Monastery, and with luck, to listen to the sound of the magnificent bell set.
A little bit of history
The Monastery of St. Bogolyubovo was founded in 1155 by Prince Andrew Bogolyubsky as a miraculous vision of the Virgin l. Initially, a temple appeared which was soon covered by ecclesiastical and secular buildings so the prince decided to build a place in memory of his protégés. After Andrew Bogolyubskii died at the hands of conspirators, the residence complex was given to the jurisdiction of the monastery.
St. Bogolyubovo Monastery was erected between 1855 and 1866 from the private donations from Moscow on the KA Ton project. After the Revolution, the monastery was closed, then the museum was organized in the same place. The revival of the monastery began in the 1990s. Today it is a convent with 120 nuns.
What you can see?
The St. Bogolyubovo Monastery is incredibly beautiful and solemn: the white walls of the temples and churches are shining at the bottom of the green forest and the blue vault of a hole that is the traditional color of the Virgin Mary to merge with the high sky.
The first thing is to go to Bogoliubsky Cathedral to admire its recognizable architecture: a combination of Byzantine and monumentality with Russian decoration. Although its interior cannot boast of ancient frescoes, this is where the monastery keeps the image of the icon of the Virgin of Bogolyubovo.
In the bell tower of the cathedral there is a set of beautiful bells, the largest of which weighs 8 tons.
The remains of Prince Andrew’s palace is the oldest building in the monastery which belongs to the second half of the 12th century. The building is considered to be the only existing structure of the civil d of ancient Russia. The castle was considered to be lost, but in 1954 the transition to the choir tower and staircase was found.
The adjacent Cathedral of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary is the graceful temple with a single dome. Even in this case, it is necessary to see the 19th century Church of the Annunciation, to examine the case and visit the private chapel, erected on the site where the body of the prince lay.