The Catholic Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross in Tambov.
What do you have to know about it?
The Catholic Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross is one of the churches in Tambov, which is not only an architectural monument, but also a completely independent and lively temple, whose worshipers have been praying since the end of the 19th century. The history of this religious place Tambov returns us in 1896, when representatives of the Catholic community of Tambov (according to the census of those years there were almost 700 people, mostly Polish) decided to raise funds for the construction of their church.
By the way, such a large number of Polish is explained very simply: after the suppression of the Polish uprising in 1863, the state massively sent rebels to several provinces, so that thousands of Polish Catholics were found in the Tambov region. The Polish have always been believers, so their desire to build a Catholic church is understandable.
Two years later, in September 1898, the first stone of the Catholic Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross was laid on the foundation of the church, and since May 25, 1903, the services were carried out here. The temple was built in the Gothic style, of red brick, its facade was richly decorated, and next to it a large two-storey house was built, where a library, a Catholic charity organization and the apartment of the abbot. The architectural ensemble impressed with its splendor and sensitivity to details: the courtyard was full of vegetation and rose bushes, and the building itself was picturesquely framed by beautiful fir trees.
In the terrible 30s, this religious place in Tambov, like many other churches in Tambov and throughout the country, were closed. According to the “good” tradition, the Catholic Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross decided to attach it to the needs of the city, and nothing was considered better than giving it to the Tambov Repair and Bearing Plant. Of course, during the church’s work as a workshop, the church suffered severely: the facade was disfigured, almost nothing remained of the bells, the basement was flooded, and the walls were heavily devoured by acid vapors.
Only in 1996-1997, it returned to the bosom of the Catholic Church, thanks to the funds collected in Poland. Three bells weighing about 1000 kg were donated by the Polish company “Production and repair of bells by Jan Felchinsky”. The revival of the parish of this Tambov religious place was marked by the installation in November 2007 of a monument to Saint Nicholas, created by the famous sculptor Zurab Tsereteli.
Visit more churches in Tambov with Free Tour Russia .
If you have something to tell us, send us an email here.