The epic city of Murom is located on a high bank in Oka. Dozens of monasteries and churches are located on the wide, flooded plain, and at night, the weak bells ring in the neighborhood. The Holy Monastery of the Resurrection is located on the northern outskirts of the city, on a bend in the beauty of Oka. According to a legend, it is associated with the lives of two Russian saints, Peter and Fevronia, the model being wisdom, humility and true love. There is no reliable information, but according to the legend, they founded the monastery, and Euphrosine (in the monasticism of Fevronia) lived and worked there, and this is where their earthly journey ended.
A little bit of history
Legend has it that a wooden monastery was here in the 11th century. The first official mention in the “layout books” of the Holy Resurrection Monastery refers to the year 1566. Even then, it consisted of two wooden churches with a bell tower, nearby, was the house of the mother superior, and 21 cells of the nuns, and in the 17th century it was rebuilt in stone with the preservation of the architecture. According to the decree of Catherine II in 1764, the monastery was suppressed and the main temple became an independent parish. In the 1930s, the 20th century church of the Resurrection and all the others were closed. When in 1998 the monastery began to revive, the cemetery had a children’s playground, and the bell tower was a sauna and a boxing ring. The construction and restoration work is being carried out so far.
What you can see?
The Holy Resurrection Monastery is located a little bit away from the main Murom mansions. It still has “the same” real Russian soul. The dirt road, the sea, the meadow flowers, the lack of crowds and the magnificent architecture make all these genuine emotions. If the legends are telling the truth, it is the oldest Orthodox monastery in Russia, which has survived to this day.
Walking from the monastery to the eye on the slopes is the key to their healing power. Saint Peter and Fevronia are the patrons of family and marriage.
The Church of the Resurrection is the largest in Murom, it has a square shape, the top is decorated with corbel arches. The 5 domes are on narrow corded drums, the high luminous crosses give a festive appearance. The lower part is surrounded by a gallery, and the entrances are in the form of tents in the old Russian style. The second temple is Vedensky, consisting of an eight-sided dome in the shape of a bell tower tent. The image of the Virgin “all the afflicted” is the Icon of the old “Theodore”, the icon of Nikolaya Chudotvortsa, dedicated to his relics in Bari, Italy, the icon and relics of Mitrofan of Voronezh and the ark with particles of several Russian saints, all kept in the Holy Monastery of the Resurrection.