The largest of the monasteries and its surroundings in Vladimir, the monastery of St. Bogolyubovo, which, witnesses more than 8 centuries of Russian history in which events have played an important role on several occasions. The uniqueness of the monastery is the civil buildings: here the 12th century was the residence of the prince Andreya Bogolyubskogo and his director at the time of the temple, the Cathedral of the Nativity which is literally built in the set of the prince’s chambers.
Today, the prince’s castle is located here. The Monastery of St. Bogolyubovo is a place worth visiting to admire the creations of the architect Ton, to stand in the silence echoing one of the largest temples in Russia, Bogolubsky Cathedral, to walk along the edge of the pond of the Poluzarosshego Monastery and, with luck, to hear the sound of the magnificent set of bells.
In the monastery houses the Bogolyubovo icon of the Mother of God, is the first to write the Russian image of the Virgin Mary in. Before this, all the icons were brought from Byzantium.
A little bit of history
The Monastery of St. Bogolyubovo was founded in 1155 by Prince Andrew Bogolyubsky, because of the miraculous vision he had of Our Lady. Initially, a temple appeared that was soon covered by ecclesiastical and secular buildings, the prince decided to build a place in memory of his protégés. After the death of Andrew Bogolyubskii , it passed into the hands of conspirators, the complex of the residence of sin was given to the jurisdiction of the monastery. The service was put in Prince Church of the Nativity of the Virgin, not the cathedral, as it was until the middle of the 19th century.
The Castle of Prince Andreya Bogolyubskogo, is the only surviving secular building of ancient Russia.
The Bogolyubskii Cathedral was erected between 1855 and 1866, from private donations from Moscow on the project of KA Ton. After the Revolution, the monastery was closed, and later a museum was organized here. The revival of the monastery began in the 1990s. Today it is a convent with 120 nuns.
What you can see?
The Monastery of St. Bogolyubovo is incredibly beautiful and solemn: the white walls of temples and churches are shining at the bottom of the green and blue vault of a perforated forest that has the traditional color of the Virgin Mary to merge with the high sky.
The first thing to do is to go to the Bogoliubsky Cathedral to admire its recognizable architecture: a Byzantine combination and Russian monumental decoration, easily and festively with the characteristic lettering of the architect Ton. Although the interior cannot boast of old frescoes, this is where the monastery keeps the image of the icon of the Virgin of Bogolyubovo.
In the bell tower of the cathedral there is a beautiful set of bells, the largest of which weighs 8 tons.
The remains of Prince Andrew’s palace are located in the oldest building of the monastery, which belongs to the second half of the 12th century. The building is considered to be the only existing civil structure from the days of ancient Russia, which reached us at least partially. The castle was considered as lost, but in 1954 the transition to the choir tower and staircase was found.
The adjacent Cathedral of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary is a graceful temple with a single dome. Even in this case, it is necessary to see the 19th century Church of the Annunciation, when examining the case and visiting the private chapel, erected on the site where the body of the prince lay.