The Monastery of the Ascension in Tambov

What to see in Tambov? There are many Tambov monasteries but one of them is super unique. The Monastery of the Ascension in Tambov, was founded in 1690 by the Bishop of Tambov and Kozlovski, St. Pitirim, which is considered one of the most beautiful mansions of the diocese of Tambov. The monastery is located on the northern outskirts of the city at the mouth of the Alexander Hawrushka Studentsov and the rivers, and its first abbess was the sister of Bishop Pitirim, Catherine. It is one of the monasteries of Tambov that is of the diocese.

The fate of the rich Ascension Monastery in Tambovestaba burned, and then it was rebuilt, where it was kept within its walls fertile icon, and was closed for a long period during the Soviet power, which revived in the 20th century. But it all began peacefully and, as in many other Russian monasteries, the poor was gradually enlarged and rebuilt for several centuries. Initially, 18 cells of the nuns were built in its territory, this was a simple wooden hut, there was not even a church or clergy.

What to see in Tambov?

On the reform of Catherine II in 1764, the Monastery of the Ascension in Tambov received full-time status, since the sum of the contents did not reach 375 rubles.

The first stone church of the Ascension of the Lord was established a hundred years later, those of the monastery in 1791. In 1816 the first stone of the second church of the monastery was laid. Truly they were glorious days when they arrived at the monastery in the first half of the 19th century, where the nun Miropiya (Adenkova in the world) was installed. It is from his name that is associated with the exaltation of the miraculous Vyshenskii (Kazan) of the icon of the Virgin.

Nun Miropiya (Maria Ivanovna) Moscow nobleman, was born in 1766, when he gave the parents in marriage to the noble Adenkova, who blessed the generic icon of Kazan, the Mother of God. Unfortunately, the life of Maria Ivanovna’s family was short, her husband died shortly, and the rich widow decided to retire to the Moscow monastery Zachateisk Alexeyev. So she lived there, not knowing the abode of Tambov’s glory, which, if it were not for the Second World War in 1812, due to the arrival of Napoleon, all the sisters left the monastery, so they met in the route. Taking the long way there is a treasured icon of the Mother of God of Kazan, which was found by a coachman and almost became his victim. He planned to rob the nun, but he converted from the heart was converted with a prayer for the Queen of Heaven to hear the voice, “Do not fear, I am your protector.” At the same moment the coachman lost his sight, confessed between tears and asked Maria Ivanovna to pray for her healing. Of course, he felt sorry for the coachman, and after a brief prayer before the icon of the Virgin of the sight he took her to the convent.

The first stone church of the Ascension of the Lord was built a hundred years after founding the monastery, in 1791 took the veil under the name Miropiya, for 14 years lived a nun in a simple wooden cell, which is in the front corner of the lamp burned before the icon of the Mother of God of Kazan. Before his death, he thought of transferring the icon to the monastery church, which was the Virgin and was ordered to deliver the icon to Shatskaia Vyshenskii, in the desert, which was made by the sisters of the Monastery of the Ascension. The fertile icon of Vyshenskii (Kazan) and the icon of the Virgin of today are there, illuminating the path to those who suffer, bringing relief and rest to all who come to pay homage to the prayer of the heart.

All Tambov monasteries are interesting. But going back to the Voznesenka monastery, by the end of the 19th century and at the beginning of the 20th century it was characterized by the flowering of time. In the monastery there were choirs and riznaya, a refuge for orphan girls (Olginskaya school), as well as a building for the cooking of holy bread, the garage and stables, barn and many other dependencies. The novices are not sitting around doing nothing: they weave cloth and canvas, black cloth for suits and cassocks, as well as the Miter that is produced for embroidery in gold and silver.

After the revolution of December 1918, the monastery fell on hard times, began to deteriorate, disintegrate, was closed, even though it gave the town hall “for its use in cultural and educational purposes.” In the 90s of the 20th century, the Monastery of the Ascension in Tambov was returned to the believers, was rebuilt little by little, clarified, put in order and even broke the flower beds. Today, the Ascension Monastery in Tambov is once again full of life, and enjoys all the pilgrims with warmth and special love.

Including in your trip to Russia monasteries of Tambov!

That was the answer to what to see in Tambov. If you have something to tell us, send us a mail here.