What you have to know about the Tambov Regional Museum of Local History?
One of the oldest museums in Russia, the Tambov Regional Museum of Local History, founded in 1879 to commemorate the centenary of the formation of Tambov and vice versa. It is famous not only for its rich collection, but also for the building in which it is located, as it is the former House of the Political Illustration. This is the Tambov Regional Museum of Local History, which currently has 112,693 exhibits in its collection. It includes the rarest collection of Russian engravings of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Also a collection of decorative Chinese and Dutch vases (second half of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries) and the paleontological collection of invertebrate animals. This is just the main building of the museum, which includes four branches scattered throughout the region.
Not only the richness of the museum’s collection is surprising, but also the same approach to the replenishment of its reserves. The Local Museum of Wisdom does not intend to take everything from anywhere, just to write something down in the dusty standards under the category “exhibition”. The history of the formation of museum collections is a complex conceptual search for the structure and forms that most suited to the needs of society. This high level established prominent scientists and public figures of Tambov, who stood at the origins of the creation of the museum, such as E. D. Naryshkin and I. Dubasov, A. Vysheslavtsev and S. Chicherin.
How and where did the Tambov Regional Local History Museum appear?
Initially, the Tambov Regional Local History Museum was located in the building of the city’s library. Then in the Naryshkin reading room. In November 1929, the collection was filled with a true pearl of the city’s architectural heritage. The building of the Transfiguration Cathedral was removed from the church and given to the “power of the people”. That was made in order to return to the Orthodox Church again.
In the 60s and 70s, the Tambov Museum became the main museum in the central black region. Often seminars and conferences take part there, and even after 10 years it became the main methodological center of the network of museums in the region, which includes 12 state museums and more than 120 municipal and departmental museums. For an honorable and difficult mission,the Tambov Regional Museum of Local History has been proud for more than 30 years.
Coordinates of the Tambov Regional Museum of Local History
Address: st. Derzhavinskaya, 3
Opening hours: 10:00 – 18:00. Thursday 13:00 – 21:00. The ticket office closes half an hour before the end of the working day. Closed on Mondays and Fridays of each month.